Friday, August 04, 2006

Yucky Upper GI Info


Well, Adam had his upper GI this morning. I had no idea that I would just about be in tears three minutes into it. So here's what I want to know...
I'm taking Adam into the hospital to get an upper GI because he vomits often and doesn't really like to eat and we want to know why. Don't let the fact that he's holding his bottle in the photo fool you. So, why, pray tell, would they think, "Hey, let's strap this kid to a board with wide bands of velcro, put a foam block around his head, turn him on his side, and then try to feed him this disgusting white goopy stuff."????? I know the doctor doing the procedure didn't know Adam well, but for crying out loud, did they really think THAT was the trick to get him to eat? For those of you that know the bouncy-seat-Baby-Einstein situation, you will understand why this didn't work so well. He got enough down for her to get the pictures, but he screamed the entire time which is quite impressive for a kid who probably has a paralyzed vocal cord. I was just about in tears, too, but I drummed up my NICU bravery and held his hands (which were strapped above his head) and sang to him. The good news is that the doctor said there was nothing serious wrong with him--no malrotation (intestine twisted, I believe), which is mainly what I got the impression she was looking for. She did mention that his stomach was emptying very slowly, but it could have been due to the amount of stress he was under. We really don't have any conclusive results now. Next step, pediatric GI.
On a less medical note: Adam is rolling around like crazy now, and lifting his chest off the ground. Yeah Adam! This takes work for him since he doesn't have the hours of practice that Eleanor has under his belt. Today, I left the house with Eleanor and Alex to drop Alex off with my grandma and mom. Jim stayed home with Adam. When I got home and Adam saw me he leaned out of Jim's arms toward me, like he wanted me to hold him! Yet another reason to get all mushy. He had never done that before.

On to the little stinker Eleanor who is getting ready to crawl. She has no interest in staying seated since this offers no locomotive bonus, even though she has plenty of muscle strength for it. Just not the balance. Forget that, she just wants to MOVE. She has been spotted several times up on her hands and knees. Just for moments, but enough for me to start thinking, "Oh no--whare are those safety locks for the cupboards?" I'm so excited for her!

2 comments:

E said...

I've read about other preemie moms taking their child to get an upper GI. Their experiences sound a lot like yours unfortunately. There has to be a better way of administering the exam, shouldn't there be?

Are they going to give Adam anything for his stomach not emptying quickly or are they going to chalk it up to stress?

liz.mccarthy said...

That is the exact reason why I've told the docs I don't want to do an upper GI - she doesn't eat, how in the world is she going to eat the barium? Sheesh?

YOu mentioned not having Adam sleep or be on his tummy, we try to put K on her tummy as much as possible, and my feeling is that if she pukes, she's better off (supervised of course), as she won't be on her back puking straight upwards and back into her mouth....