Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Eye Spy

So what's wrong with this picture? Or should I say pictures... Two of the kids in our family have figured out what time bedtime is. One has not. Can you guess which one is not like the others before I finish my song?

Jim said, "He needs to either go to sleep earlier or learn how to close up for the night." Adam is such a night owl--and he won't wake up until at least 8am tomorrow. Sounds more like his mom than his dad on this one.
We just went to the twins' eye doctor and it's all good news! Both of them have straight eyes (crossed eyes and lazy eyes are a risk of prematurity) although Adam's are still a bit immature and his right eye will sometimes take a little while longer to find what it's looking for. They are also both far-sighted, which is exactly what is normal for any baby their age. And no appointment for a YEAR. Wha-hoo!
We also had a pediatrician appointment on Friday. I can't tell you how great our pediatrician is. Besides being fabulous with the kids, when I asked if he had heard about the Mentos/Diet Coke thing that was on NPR (see photo!), he knew just what I was talking about AND gave me the website to see these 2 guys do an experiment with 100 bottles and 500 Mentos. (If you haven't seen it, go to www.eepybird.com) So, back to more medical issues... Eleanor is great and has gone to regular 20 calorie formula. I guess being a little pudge ball did it and we can now afford to buy that second home in Maui with the money we're saving. She had a wart (eeew) and he removed it, but that's it. Adam is also doing well, but stays on 22 cal formula because he's still throwing up at least once a day. The bad news is that we think he has a paralyzed vocal cord. After reading about other preemie moms with kids with this problem, I realized it was probably what Adam has, too. He doesn't really have a good cry--I often refer to it as "the silent scream". Makes me think of that Munch painting. The doctor said that the process for diagnosing it is awful, so if it isn't causing physical problems for Adam, not to do anything about it now. His voice will be a bit raspy if this is indeed the situation. Of course, we aren't happy about it because, being a teacher, I always worry about kids teasing him, but we made lots of bargains with God when they were first born. If this is the only problem that Adam has so far, we are so fortunate and we are hardly going to complain. He will probably eventually have voice therapy from what we read, but other than that, we'll have to wait and see.
The twins' good friend Carter came over to visit again. Looks like he and Eleanor are officially dating. What little flirts they are! It's been so nice having visitors. We still make sure people are healthy and haven't been sick or around anyone sick for a week, but we feel a little more normal. I'm dreading RSV season this winter when we will have to go back into hiding again. I think that starts November 1, but I'm not sure. It wasn't so bad last winter because we hadn't tasted sweet freedom then. I know, I know, it's only July, but I can't help thinking about hibernation mode again. Well, for now , we will enjoy being social!

No comments: